Week of August 28th, 2010Posted: August 28, 2010
After two weeks of vacations (for me), here are some elements of European news:
- The Euro sharply fell during August, losing almost 5% since the beginning of the month , at $1.277
- Europeans are mostly (about 75%) in favor of a stronger economic governance, according to a Eurobarometer study realized in spring.
- An other Eurobaometer study shows that European are losing confidence in the European Union[*]. Short of half of the European citizens think their country membership to the EU is a good thing.
- The High Representative C. Ashton should be able to give a speech at the UN General Assembly[*]. The EU has a statute of observer there and do not have the right to speak under this statute ; which become a problem since the Lisbon Treaty created a High Representative for External Affairs.
- The European Commissioner for economic and monetary affairs suggest to repeat the bank stress tests in a more frequent basis to boost the trust in the European bank institutions [*].
- Finally, France is being criticized for its politic towards Romas [*,*,*]
The Union gets back from vacation next week with several meetings for European Commissioners. The Parliament has its come back in two weeks with a plenary session.