What could replace nuclear energy ?Posted: March 16, 2011
Based on order of magnitude, here are the equivalent installation needed to produce as muhc energy as one nuclear reactor (usually, there are 2 to 4 ,to sometimes more by power plant), producing about 1000MW.
- 100 geothermal production stations (10MW by station)
- 200 wind turbine (5MW each)
- 5 coal, gas, oil, … power plant (200 MW by power plant)
- 10 million square meters of solar panels (about 100W per square meter)
- A little less than one hydroelectric dam (1 à 10 GW by dam)
Of course, those quantities are subject to variation depending on the situation, but it can give us a good sense of the things. We can conclude that : solar panel are not a credible alternative to nuclear energy, wind-mills are serious contender, but you need to have wind. Finally, geothermal energy sounds quite interesting.